Plymouth U3A will follow the government and NHS advice on Covid-19.
The advice is that from now on everyone should stop non-essential contact with others and adopt social distancing. People in ‘at risk groups’ are to be shielded from social contact for 12 weeks. People who should take particular care to minimise social contact are, among others, people over the age of 70.
For those who are at very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) because of an underlying health condition, we strongly suggest you read the Public Health England document for Guidance on shielding and protecting people defined on medical grounds as extremely vulnerable from COVID-19.
Latest Covid-19 Advice and Guidance
Following updated government and NHS guidance (14 September 2020) please find below a link to the latest guidance (as at 21st September) as it relates to U3A. U3As in England Covid-19 Advice for Interest Groups (21Sept2020 v.8)
Please see our Keeping Active page.
Cancellation of all U3A Meetings
The health and wellbeing of our members is our primary concern and the committee have unanimously agreed that we should all adhere to the government’s advice. As such, please note the following:
- All monthly Plymouth U3A General Meetings will be cancelled until further notice;
- We strongly recommend that all U3A group meetings are put on hold until further notice. I would ask all Group Leaders to contact their team members personally to confirm this. (Please note: as the instruction to suspend group meetings is directed by the Third Age Trust please be aware that should any group continue to meet, they will not not have any insurance cover);
- The the AGM which is due to take place in July is temporarily on hold, however the situation will be monitored, and all members will be advised accordingly;
- The planned Open Day for June is postponed until further notice;
- There will be no monthly issues of the newsletter until further notice;
- Membership payments can be made on-line, over the phone or by post as of 1st April. 2020 Membership Cards will be issued once general meetings are reinstated.
The committee would urge everyone to be conscious of those who are living alone or most vulnerable and wherever possible stay in touch by phone or email. These are very difficult times for us all and we sincerely hope everyone remains healthy throughout. We look forward to reinstating our U3A activities as soon as it is safe to do so.
Please also adhere to the government advice. For the latest on the government Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance see Coronavirus outbreak FAQs: what you can and can’t do.
Also we suggest everyone look to the National Health Service for information and guidance. See nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/.
The Third Age Trust also has regularly updated information to help U3A members in response to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) situation. See u3a.org.uk/covid-19.
Any Group Leaders who are concerned about finance issues (room rental, insurance etc.,) arising from meeting cancellations should initially contact John Jarvis using the Contact Form. To contact any other committee member please also use the Contact Form.
Meanwhile the Executive Committee wishes you all well.